Title: Community Organizer
Reports To: Policy Associate
New Jersey League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (New Jersey LCV Ed Fund) educates, empowers and mobilizes residents to engage in the democratic process to advance strong environmental solutions. We provide policymakers and opinion leaders with sound, objective, non-partisan information that encourages actions that safeguard the environment now and for future generations.
New Jersey LCV Ed Fund seeks a full-time, grant-funded Field Organizer to conduct public education and outreach about polluted runoff and flooding from unmitigated stormwater. The community organizer will be responsible for engaging with members of the public, community leadership, and relevant non-profit organizations in targeted areas.
- Build widespread grassroots support for effective stormwater management
- Recruit and build relationships with citizen volunteers and cultivate leaders
- Motivate, manage and coordinate volunteers to educate the public and decision-makers about the need for stormwater infrastructure investments and fees through phone calls, letters to the editor, op-eds, signature petition drives, event tabling, constituent meetings, and in-person education activities
- Engage local environment-focused citizen groups through outreach
- Attend public events such as farmer’s markets and community days/events to engage the public in targeted areas about the threats to drinking water supplies that flooding and stormwater pose
- Attend local community organization partners’ activities and events
- Regularly submit status reports to Policy Associate
- Maintain member engagement through weekly email updates, scheduled in-person or digital check-ins, and volunteer leadership coordination
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to conservation
- Personable, dependable team player
- Ability to advocate for nonpartisan policy positions
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent personal organizational and time management skills
- This individual must be able to work independently, as well as, with a dynamic team
- Demonstrated ability to recruit volunteer activists and mobilize public support
- Prior field organizing experience preferred, but not necessary
- Working knowledge of Voter Activation Network (VAN) and Catalyst preferred, but not necessary
This is a full-time position and will be based out of our office in Princeton. However, travel throughout New Jersey will be necessary, so a valid driver’s license and access to a car are required. This person must be able to maintain a flexible schedule as evening and weekend work may be required.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Community Organizer" in the subject line. No calls, please. Applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
New Jersey LCVEF is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace.