Title: Policy and Outreach Intern
Location: Likely remote, or in person in Princeton, New Jersey
Term of Position: Spring 2021
Schedule and Compensation: 20 hours per week, $15/hour
Reports to: Policy Assistant
New Jersey League of Conservation Voters (New Jersey LCV) is seeking a motivated, energetic intern who is passionate about restoring and protecting the environment, and interested in learning about environmental policy, outreach, the legislative process, and environmental activism. The ideal intern is dedicated to environmental protection and policy and looking to meet and work with other environmentally minded people.
New Jersey LCV is the statewide political voice for the environment. We elect environmentally responsible candidates to state and local offices, advocate for strong environmental policies, and hold our elected officials accountable to safeguard the health of our communities, the beauty of our state, and the strength of our economy.
- Independently research state-level policy relating to the environment, public health, and voting rights.
- Help organize and prepare Policy team for necessary testimony, meetings, and press materials.
- Conduct research on potential partner organizations
- Identify and track legislation moving through Trenton, including committee hearings and vote records.
- Prepare memos on topics and policies relevant to New Jersey politics that are digestible for public and/or staff.
- Assist in our Flood Defense NJ coalition, a program helping municipalities establish local stormwater utilities. This will include attendance at several Flood Defense NJ Coalition events.
- Developed outreach materials on relevant topics and present when needed.
- Assist in event planning, outreach and coordination and strategic planning
- Attend partner, coalition, and legislative hearings and meetings.
- Write professional documents and emails.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work efficiently, accurately, and collaboratively.
- Personable, dependable team player.
- Commitment to environmental conservation, or interest in political work preferred.
- Educational or professional background in public policy or environmental policy preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a paid, part-time internship and we are happy to work with interns for college credit. Interns will receive direct experience working within the conservation community at one of New Jersey’s leading conservation organizations. Interns will have the opportunity to network at various political and environmental events throughout the course of the internship. Letters of recommendation will be available upon request. Opportunities for full-time employment at New Jersey LCV do occasionally occur and interns are eligible to apply.
The candidate must have reliable transportation. Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter, and three references (may be character, academic, or professional) to Rebecca Hilbert at Rebecca.Hilbert@NJLCV.org. When applying for this position, please put “Policy/Outreach Intern” in the subject line.
Deadline for submission: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until positions are filled.
New Jersey LCV is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, genetics, disability, age, marital status, familial status, domestic partnership status, civil union status, pregnancy, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait status, or veteran status.