Title: Policy and Outreach Intern
Location: Likely hybrid of some remote and some in-person in Hamilton, New Jersey office
Duration: January to July (exact dates are flexible); possibility for extension
Schedule and Compensation: 20 hours per week, $15/hour
New Jersey League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (New Jersey LCV Ed Fund) is seeking a motivated, energetic intern who is passionate about restoring and protecting the environment, and interested in learning about environmental policy, outreach, the legislative process, and environmental activism. The ideal intern is dedicated to environmental protection and policy and looking to meet and work with other environmentally minded people.
New Jersey LCV Education Fund is a non-partisan, tax-deductible non-profit that protects our precious natural resources by raising awareness of key environmental challenges and increasing the efficacy of the entire environmental community.
- Independently research state-level policy relating to the environment, public health, and voting rights.
- Help organize and prepare Policy team for necessary testimony, meetings, and press materials.
- Conduct research on potential partner organizations
- Identify and track legislation moving through Trenton, including committee hearings and vote records.
- Prepare memos on topics and policies relevant to New Jersey politics that are digestible for public and/or staff.
- Assist in our Flood Defense NJ coalition, a program helping municipalities establish local stormwater utilities. This will include attendance at several Flood Defense NJ Coalition events.
- Developed outreach materials on relevant topics and present when needed.
- Assist in event planning, outreach and coordination and strategic planning
- Attend events, tabling, rallies as needed (according to current Covid Guidelines)
- Independently represent organization at partner, coalition, and legislative hearings and meetings.
- Write professional documents and emails.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work efficiently, accurately, and collaboratively.
- Personable, dependable team player.
- Commitment to environmental conservation, or interest in political work preferred.
- Educational or professional background in public policy or environmental policy preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus, but not a requirement
- The candidate must have reliable transportation.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a paid, part-time internship and we are happy to work with interns for college credit. Interns will receive direct experience working within the conservation community at one of New Jersey’s leading conservation organizations. Interns will have the opportunity to network at various political and environmental events throughout the course of the internship. Letters of recommendation will be available upon request. Opportunities for full-time employment at New Jersey LCV do occasionally occur and interns are eligible to apply.
The candidate must have reliable transportation, a cell phone, and a computer for the position, although we are working virtually right now due to COVID-19. Interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter, and three references (may be character, academic, or professional) to Rebecca Hilbert at Rebecca.Hilbert@NJLCV.org. When applying for this position, please put “Policy/Outreach Intern” in the subject line.
Deadline for submission: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until positions are filled.
New Jersey LCV is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, genetics, disability, age, marital status, familial status, domestic partnership status, civil union status, pregnancy, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait status, or veteran status.