Governor Phil Murphy
New Jersey LCV is the first environmental organization to endorse Governor Phil Murphy for his 2021 re-election. The Governor’s bold actions to protect our open spaces, safeguard clean drinking water, advance environmental justice, and combat climate change have put New Jersey on a path to being the greenest state in America, a complete 180-degree turn from the anti-environment actions we saw under Governor Christie.
Governor Murphy has established a long record fighting against climate change, holding polluters accountable, protecting our water, reducing pollution, and advancing environmental justice. The following are some of Governor Murphy’s major environmental accomplishments:
- He was the first Governor to commit to 100% clean energy by 2050 and has rejoined the Climate Alliance to uphold the Paris Agreement and the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative to reduce carbon and air pollution.
- The Murphy administration established a nation-leading offshore wind program by requiring 7500MW by 2035 and is moving forward with the single largest investment in offshore wind manufacturing with the development of the New Jersey Wind Port.
- The Murphy administration’s Energy Master Plan phases out of fossil fuels and embraces a rapid shift toward electrification.
- In a move to reduce carbon emissions from the transportation sector, the largest polluting and greenhouse gas emitting sector in New Jersey, Governor Murphy signed the boldest electric vehicle bill into law. It would set NJ Transit on an ambitious timeline to fully electrify by nearly 2040, catalyze the electrification of state light-duty fleets, and map out the creation of a statewide network of public, electric vehicle fast-charging stations in key transportation hotspots.
- With the advocacy of First Lady Tammy, his administration now requires all New Jersey schools educate students on climate change.
Governor Murphy has worked for environmental justice for our most vulnerable, Black and Brown communities.
- He signed the strongest environmental justice legislation in the country – making New Jersey the only state in the country to have a comprehensive cumulative impacts law on the books.
- His Administration has held polluters accountable with dozens of environmental lawsuits, environmental justice enforcement actions, and natural resource damage cases that seek to restore communities and ecosystems after decades of harm due to pollution.
Governor Murphy has fought for our natural resources by:
- Designating 749 miles of rivers and streams with the highest level of protection, using the “Category One” protection for the first time in more than a decade.
- Approving the most comprehensive single-use plastic bag bans in the nation, the Plastic Pollution Reduction Act.
In his 2017 bid to become Governor of New Jersey, Phil Murphy earned the support of New Jersey LCV in his primary election making them the first environmental organization to support his election and vision for a 100% Clean Energy Garden State.
In 2009, he answered President Obama’s call to service and, following his confirmation by the United States Senate, became the U.S. Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany, where he served until 2013. Governor Murphy and First Lady Tammy Murphy live in Monmouth County and are the parents of Josh, Emma, Charlie, and Sam. A proud public-school product, Governor Murphy holds degrees from Harvard University and the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania.
Despite all the major environmental successes his administration has achieved, New Jersey still faces the crises of climate change, disproportionate pollution in communities of color and low-income communities, and threats to our water, air, and open spaces. It’s critical we re-elect Governor Phil Murphy so that we may continue the hold polluters accountable, fight corporate polluters, and ensure our environment is protected for our children and grandchildren. Join us in supporting Phil Murphy for New Jersey Governor and vote for him this election.